Thursday, June 1, 2017

Make-Up & Beauty Interview with JoJoCircus

Happy June! It's great to be back to share my thoughts and share some new ideas. In today's episode, I am happy to interview my talented and beautiful little sister Joan AKA JoJo. JoJo is a certified Make-Up Artist, graduated from M.U.D School (Make-Up Designory) in New York City. She has been such an inspiration in the beauty industry. There is never a time when we are walking together in the streets without someone giving her a compliment. I remember when the make-up industry hasn't grown yet, Jojo never gave up and continued to experiment new ideas. When family members were against her being a Make-Up Artist, she did not care and continued to pursue her dreams. Today, I am looking forward to go more in depth about Jojo's experience as a Make-Up Artist and what advice she can provide for the audience.

Interview with JoJo Circus

1. What makes you stand out as a Make-Up Artist?

What makes me stand out as a Make-Up Artist besides my bright blue hair, is being able to get creative and have fun playing with different colors and products.

2. What does your daily make-up routine look like?

I always start with a cleansed moisturized canvas. Skin Care is definitely a MUST when it comes to applying make-up in yourself. I will list in order how I put on my make-up on a daily basis:

  • Primer: Current favorite is my "First Aid Beauty Coconut Smoothie" primer.
  • Foundation: I always switch off my foundation but the one I reach for the most would be "Tarte Rainforest of the Sea" foundation. I love how the foundation looks on my skin!
  • Concealer: Current favorite is the famous "Tarte Shape Tape". Full coverage concealer, very lightweight and a little bit goes a long way. I use more of a peachy concealer to cover up my dark circles. No one wants to look tired!
  • Setting Powder: "RMCA No Color Powder" gives no flashbacks in your photos which is what I love in a setting powder.
  • Bronzer: "Girlatik Beauty Bronzer" in "Cabo" is my all time favorite. It gives me a beautiful summer bronzed skin!
  • Eyebrows: Currently loving the "LA Girl Brown Mechanical Pencil". This is definitely an affordable version of the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz.
  • Blush: I love any blushes that are coral. It gives me a pretty natural flush to my skin tone. "Too-Faced in Peach Beach" is my all time favorite.
  • Highlighter: Who doesn't love this part of their make-up routine?! I love using different highlighters for different types of looks I go for. I use at least two highlighters to give me the perfect amount of glow!
  • Eye Shadow: It all depends on what kind of look I'm going to create. If I want a pop of color, I love using the "Suva Beauty's: Cupcakes and Monster's" palette and the "Urban Decay's: Electric" palette. The more neutral palettes I would reach  for the "Violet Voss: Holy Grail" palette or "Morphe's: F35" palette.
  • Mascara: "Benefit: Roller Lash Mascara" is AMAZING!!!
  • False Lashes: I love applying false lashes especially since my lashes are always falling downwards. False lashes help me have existing lashes. "KoKo Lashes" in the style Goddess is my all time favorite!
  • Lips: My go to lip is "Jefferee Star's" Androgyny" Velour Lipsticks. I am obsessed with lip colors that have a mauve and plum tone.
3. What is your favorite make-up brand ad why would you recommend it?

My favorite make-up brand would have to be "Kat Von D" because I love her edgy style and I love that she has a lot of different colors in her collection. The pigmentation in her products are absolutely AMAZING! If you're a make-up lover and you're not afraid to play with colors, definitely try out her products. She is also Cruelty Free!

4. What are the biggest challenges Make-Up Artists have to face?

The biggest challenge a Make-Up Artist has to face is honestly challenging ourselves to become better, not being afraid to learn something new. Also becoming professional enough to charge the rate's you deserve as an Artist.

5. How often do you clean your make-up brushes?

I clean my brushes every time I'm done with my make-up application. In my opinion, if you do not clean your brushes, the products that we're used from previous can absorb into your brushes and dry up and can get stuck in the hairs. That causes the hairs on the brushes to fall out and ruin the brushes. Treat your brushes as if you were washing your own hair.

6. How long does it take for you to apply a full make-up application?

An hour and a half! This is one of my favorite questions anyone can ask me. The amount of jaws dropped and "WOW that's dedication!", I get everyday is pretty hilarious!

7. Do you prefer high name brand make-up or drug store make-up?

It all depends on what the product is. For example, a gel liner, mascara, and eyebrow pencil, these I prefer drug store affordable brands because you can always find an alternative product that works the same way. When it comes to foundation, lip products, eye shadows blush and highlighters, I usually go more towards the higher end because I feel like they have more pigmentation than a drug store brand.

8. Why do you choose the beauty industry?

I choose the beauty industry because the trends are always changing and it challenges and inspires me to learn more about the field. from high fashion, Avant Garde, Male Make-Up and editorials. I will never forget the time I worked my first photo shoot and seeing my work up on my schools website. I knew being in the beauty industry was something I knew I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

--

Jojo, thank you for taking the time to provide us useful information and tips on your journey as a Make-Up Artist! We wish you luck and continue pursuing your dreams! This is only the beginning.



Instagram: @jojoxcircus
SnapChat:  jojoxcircus
YouTube: JojoCircusBeauty
Email: joan.kim06@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transitions

My emotions speak to the inner core of my heart. I feel the shifting about to start. Am I ready for this? Or am I quick to resist? Tru...